- Meet Dominic Carrillo On May 3rd & 4th, NOVA EMS Libraries had the honor to invite Mr. Dominic Carrillo, the award-winning YA author of TheImprobable Rise of Paco Jones and The Unusual Suspects to visit us. During his two-day visit Mr. Carrillo worked closely with our MS students. He modeled writing workshops to help students revise and polish their writing pieces, answered students’ questions about his books and shared his expertise as an author and a teacher. It was wonderful to see students so excited and engaged. While Mr. Carrillo brought the fantastic educational experience to us, it was also the outcome of two months of preparation and collaboration at our end. Prior to meeting the author, students have been keeping reading journals and writing down questions as readers for the Q&A session. As part of their regular English lessons, students have been working on their drafts of a personal narrative or a short story. The author, together with NOVA students, teachers and librarians, made this visit a meaningful addition to what students have been learning. We wrapped up the visit with an 8th grade Life Skills session. The students were grouped and rotated among different stations sharing their ideas about the key themes addressed in TheImprobable Rise of Paco Jones such as rumors, popularity, first love, stereotypes, gender double-standards and racism. During this session Mr. Carrillo had the chance to observe, listen to and interact with our youngsters. With their insights, perhaps some of our students have unknowingly contributed ideas to Mr. Carrillo’s next book. See event photos at the photo gallery.
- Author Visit May 03-04 EMS Libraries are very excited to have Mr. Dominic Carrillo visiting us this week on May 3-4. Mr. Carrillo is the award winning author of the YA fictions The Improbable Rise of Paco Jones and The Unusual Suspects. During his 2-day visit, besides having writing workshops with gr. 6-gr. 8 students, students will also have a Q&A session about his stories and small-group discussions concerning teenage themes based on Mr. Carrillo's books.
- Spring Book Fair & Spring Bazaar
This year, our annual spring book fair will take place on Thursday April 19 and Saturday April 21. This is a wonderful opportunity to purchase books for summer reading, as well as buy some of your child’s favorite books as gifts.
- 21.03.2018 Meet Sara Tomeska NOVA young author
The EMS librarians have just published Sara's first book, "Knizeven osvrt na Nina i devojceto od sestata mececinja" (Book Reviews on Nina the Girl from the Sixth Moon series). Apart from sharing her ideas and reflection about this series, Sara also illustrated all the pictures in this collection of her book reviews. Read Sara's work under Write A Book Review section.NOVA Young Writers
- 12.03.2018 Donation from the Italian Embassy The Italian Embassy in Macedonia has made the second donation to NOVA. The collection includes, besides Italian language programs to HS and EMS, Italian literature that are for different age groups. They are classics and contemporary; picture books and chapter books; language learning reference and fun activity books for children. We are grateful for the the support from the Italian Embassy in enriching our foreign language collection and program.
- 20.02.2018 Donation from the Polish Embassy The Polish Embassy in Macedonia has presented to our EMS Libraries two books recently translated from Polish into Macedonian, published by Begemot, a Skopje-base publisher: (1) Ve moeto mese zivee nekoje zivotice by Grzegorz Kasdepke, and (2) Rozplozenijata na Hipolit Kolbas by Roksana Jedrzejewska-Wrobel. The Ambassador wishes children learning Macedonian language at NOVA will love the stories as much as the Polish children do. Their authors are definitely among the best authors of children's literature in Poland today.
- 12.02.2018 New Arrivals: The World of Norm collection #8-12 An award-winning, laugh-out-loud series for fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and David Walliams. EMS library now has completed the collection.
- 29.01.2018 New Arrivals: The loveliest picture books in 2017 that encourage children to embrace the nourishment of nature and the art of solitude in the age of screens. Surely enough, readers are going to enjoy the complete collection of the mad scientist, Franny K. Stein, for its gross-out humor with a side of science. Bertolt by Jacques Goldstyn The Paper-Flower Tree by Jacqueline Ayer Big Wolf & Little Wolf by Nadine Brun-Cosme Here We Are by Oliver Jeffers On a Magical Do-Nothing Day by Beatrice Alemagna
- 12.2017 Donation from The Kitanoski family The Kitanoski family has again brought in many books in excellent condition, both in English and Macedonian, for our younger readers. We are grateful to families that have been offering support to our effort in developing literacy and nurturing children's love for reading.